I have been cleaning North County San Diego beaches for years. I take photographs of the trash I find and share the most interesting images on social media in order to help others understand the seriousness of the plastic pollution problem.
On the Horizon, a series of photographs and 3-D pieces created with marine debris have been on exhibit at the Bay Model in Sausalito, California and at the Tides Thoreau Center in San Francisco. In addition, my work has been displayed at Carlsbad’s Dove Library and most recently at The Hill Street Country Club Gallery in Oceanside. Into the Current is my first large-scale sculpture made from marine plastic.
As a teacher, I share my passion for the environment with students through hands-on marine debris classroom workshops that integrate making, photography, and writing.
I also enjoy hosting hands-on experiential booths at festivals around San Diego’s North County area and have participated in Oceanside’s Earth Festival, the Alley Art Festival in Vista, and I Love a Clean San Diego’s Zero Waste Fair held at the Farm Lab in Encinitas, among others.
I am available for speaking engagements, providing hands-on art experiences, and/or hosting an interactive booth at your next festival. Please contact me, if you would like to discuss options for your school or group.
The links below will take you to a variety of articles/videos about my work, including some featuring the Green Team student volunteers who helped with recycling and campus clean-ups at the school where I used to work.
- Surfrider Foundation – Activist Spotlight
- CBS8 News – Celebrate Sustainable Living at Ecofest Encinitas
- North County Climate Change Alliance – Climate Connections: Plastic Pollution Impacts and Solutions
- Surfrider San Diego Blog Post – RAP Presents to Vista City Council
- Cambridge University Press – COVID Waste and Social Media as Methodology
- CNN Business – Used Masks and Gloves are Showing Up on Beaches and in Oceans
- Brill – The Effects of COVID-19 Litter on Animal Life
- The Nation – Byproducts of the Pandemic
- Surfrider San Diego – Volunteer Spotlight
- The Coast News – Plastic Straws Targeted by Carlsbad City Council
- The Coast News – Fight Against the Plastic Straw Goes to Oceanside
- San Diego Union Tribune – Video featuring me on a beach
- San Diego Reader – Article about my biofilter discovery
- The Coast News – Article about my art work and the biofilters
- The Coast News – Student presentation on marine debris for the Oceanside City Council
- San Diego Union Tribune – Del Rio Elementary School’s Zero Waste Program
- Fox 5 News San Diego – Del Rio’s Green Team on Earth Day